Sage Workshop: Intro to Poetry/ Autobiography
Unit Essential Question: How can my five scenes are used in my writing?
Resources: Painting, Quiz 1, 5 mystery stations (bags filled with stuff), and, Bandanas
Focus Question: How can I use my sense of touch, smell, taste, and sound.
- Define Sensory details and describe them in writing
- Review Literary elements and take quiz
- Participate: Reading out loud their work and participate in events
- Explain and describe the different sensory details
Assessment:Students will take a quiz on sensory details, literary devises, and literary terms. The quiz will be used to see if they improved during the workshop. I will have a similar quiz at the end of the workshop. Assessment: Entrance Slip. (Students will be required to wash their hands before class begins)
Introduction to the workshop
- Introduce who I am and explain my senior thesis
Hook: (10 minutes)
- Students will receive a workshop syllables
- Introduce them to wonderhowto.com and show them planet poem
- We will go through it and I will answer any questions they might have.
- I will also go over the schedule and my curriculum
Activity Before Concept: minutes) Quiz
- Students will take a quiz that reviews literary elements.
THROUGH (10 min)
Activity 1 (10 minutes total)
Mystery Stations: Have a total of five stations and two students per station. Fill five bags with objects to describe. One bag would be full of gummy worms. The second bag would be full of sun flower seeds. The third bag of koosh balls, the fifth bag would peeled pears and raisons soaked with water.
Students will be able to use all their 5 senses. They will have to wash their hands before they come in the class. The students will have to describe what is contained inside their bag. They will use their imagination to figure out what is inside the bag. The students will present it and at the end the mystery will be revealed.
Activity 2 (15 minutes total)
Describing a Painting
There will be a painting on the table and the students will take notes on the painting. They will write as many details as they can get. Then they will write a poem that will include a story. They will describe it in detail using Literary Devices. The final product will be a poem using the painting they have in front of them. (Describe what Stanzas are and the literary elements are)
Activity 3 (Remaining Time)
Work on the painting poem
I will use Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Night as the painting for my 2nd activity. Students will describe it in detail and take notes. From those notes they will create a poem.